I love a good recommendation so Fridays will be a place where I’ll often offer my random recommendations. These might be for snacks, movies, books, music, crafts, recipes, running gear, other blogs- really anything that I enjoy and hope you might too.
I wasn’t much of a chip person until I gave up sweets for Lent. When given the choice between sugar and salt, 85 % of the time I will choose sugar. However, during the other 15 %, I reach for Late July chips. These flavorful chips put Doritos to shame. Plus, your fingers won’t turn orange.
WARNING: If you are as white as I am, these might set your lips on fire, but the taste is well worth the burning sensation. If you find the Late July blue tortilla chips at other stores, buy them right away and thank me later.
2) Snapea Crisps
My crossfit-addicted sister-in-law recommended these, so I was hesitant at first (crossfitters are weird. The girl can freaking do a hand-stand push-up!) But despite my initial doubts, I was instantly hooked on these. They’re a great chip-alternative to make you feel like you’re not eating total garbage.
However, these are not for everyone. I offered some to my colleagues and they turned up their noses. Gina even spit one out and called me gross. Regardless of this reaction, I stand by my recommendation.
These just might change your life. I love them for 3 reasons:
A) Even though the pretzels are drizzled in carmel and dipped in chocolate, it still seems healthier than straight up candy.
B) I read somewhere that dark chocolate is actually good for you.
C) The chewiness of the carmel forces me to slow down and eat at normal human pace.
WARNING: the carmel might pull off your permanent retainers. (I’ve been wanting to visit my orthodontist anyways.)
4) Pretzel Buns
Apparently I am a big fan of any and all things pretzel. For those who miss the old food pyramid where 6-11 servings of bread and cereals were recommended, these buns are better than manna. No offense, God, but “thin flakes like frost” don’t sound nearly as satisfying as rolls of pretzel goodness.
As a former veggie-hater, it is a big deal that these have made the list. I’m still not on “team vegetable” and these certainly can’t compare with chocolate or cheese, but on those rare occasions when I feel like eating healthy, these are actually quite tasty.
Bell peppers with hummus is usually a “my-stomach-is-starting-to-eat-itself-and-dinner-won’t-be-ready-for-an-hour” kind of snack. They’re great raw, they’re easy to sauté, and stuff them with chicken and rice and boom- dinner’s ready. (I use this Pinterest recipe for stuffed peppers at least twice a month.)
But just so you don’t think I’m turning into a health nut…
Add butter and syrup for breakfast.
Put bacon, lettuce and tomatoes between two of these and call it lunch.
Eat it with butter for a snack.
Fry up some chicken and voila! Dinner is served.
Nutella + peanut butter+ waffle = one dang good dessert
I could go an entire day eating these waffles. In fact, I’m adding that to my bucket list right now. Right beneath, “See 5 movies in the theater on one day.”
Do you have any snack recommendations to offer? I get stuck eating the same thing for months, so I’d love a few recommendations.